Monday, April 13, 2009

Negative Blurbs

I noticed this link from the vehicule press blog on negative blurbshttp://www.scribd.com/doc/468653/Poetry-Blurbs-that-People-Will-Not-Have-the-Balls-to-Write which reminded me of the self-mocking blurbs for one of the funniest books I've ever read, Bored Of The Rings, the parody of The Lord Of The Rings. The Harvard Lampoon (Henry Beard and Douglas Kenney) included a few send-ups on their own reworking of Tolkien's great trilogy, such as:

"A slightly more liberal reading of the leash-laws would keep books like this off the stands. I don't know how you'll fare, but my copy insists on long walks around suppertime, bays at the moon, and has spoiled every sofa cushion in the place."

--Wilmot Proviso, The Rocky Mountain Literary Round-Up


"One of the two or three books ...."

--Frank O'Prussia, Dublin Gazette





No comments: